U.S.-India Trade Talks Postponed as Tariff Dispute Deepens
Talks on a proposed U.S.-India trade deal have been delayed after a planned visit by American negotiators to New Delhi on August 25–29 was called off, Reuters reported. The move dashed hopes of easing fresh U.S. tariffs on Indian goods set to take effect August 27. The U.S. embassy reportedly said it had no further details, noting that talks are led by the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR). Earlier this month, President Trump imposed an extra 25% tariff on Indian goods over New Delhi’s continued imports of Russian oil, pushing some duties to as high as 50%—among the steepest on any U.S. partner. Negotiations had already stalled after five rounds over disputes on opening India’s farm and dairy markets and halting Russian oil purchases. India’s Foreign Ministry said it is being “unfairly singled out” while the U.S. and EU continue buying from Moscow.